One of the key skills of anybody in a management or leadership position in business is that of confidence. One definition is, “a state of being clear-headed either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective”.(Wikipedia)
So, confidence is a state of mind, and can be the difference between success and failure. How can we, then, concentrate on improving our confidence and become the manager or leader we know we can be? Here is a checklist of points we can concentrate on:
- Describe a time when you asserted yourself during a meeting.
What mindset did you take into that occasion? How did you deal with any blocks to progress? How did you feel when you stood up for yourself? Think back to that time and create a small anchor that will allow you to get back into that state again when you need to.
- Describe two contributions you made in the last 12 months that you are most proud of.
What makes you proud of them? What were the results you achieved from carrying them out? Close your eyes and remember the feelings you had when you contributed, and decide on how you could do the same again in the next 12 months.
- Outside of your job role, how have you helped people to become more than they would normally be?
What skillsets did you demonstrate for this to become a reality? Think of occasions in the near future where you could replicate this.
- Think back to a time in the last 12 months where you had some form of conflict with a peer or colleague or team member.
How did you handle it so it eased the pressure? What else could you have done?
- In the next 24 months, think how you would like to develop and grow as a manager.
What new skills will you need to learn to be valuable and effective to the business and your industry? How would these new skills help you to build more confidence in yourself?
Think about the learning processes you went through on these occasions and identify what you could do to ensure you think things through in a positive and confident manner next time. By doing so, you will build a mindset that can create confidence at will and help you achieve higher goals when you want to.